Our mission is to find ways to collect and use the abundant urban fruit that is grown in the city and is not being used. We presently use some of this fruit to make jams, jellies, condiments and sauces that we sell to support our mission. However there is WAY more than we can even begin to use. We are developing networks of small food banks (U of A and Grant MacEwan), not for profits, group homes, schools, community kitchens and resource centres to take as much as they can handle in the fall. Do we need help? YES. We would love to work with you and your corporation to find more ways of making this plan work.
Need a new idea for a team building experience? A day of charity giving? Working with a Non-Profit group? We hope to offer you a new choice by spending a day with Fruits of Sherbrooke.
1 Day Team Building Experience for 6 participants
8:30 - 10:30 Meet a Fruits of Sherbrooke representative at a neighbourhood yard, selected by us, to pick the fruit of the season. Rhubarb, raspberries, sour cherries, saskatoons, pears, apples, and crabapples are the usual choices - but you could be lucky enough to be picking plums, or high bush cranberries.
10:30 - 12:00 noon Return to kitchen and prepare the fruit for making jam or jelly. The Fruits of Sherbrooke cooks will be there to assist, show you the tools we use to make juice for jelly, sort the fruit for cooking that day or storing and finally helping you decide what you plan to do with the fruit you collected that morning.
12:00 - 1:00 Lunch You can plan to go out to some great restaurants along the vibrant 124 Street or we can arrange for a catered lunch on the premises at an additional cost.
1:00 to 3:45 With the assistance of Fruits of Sherbrooke cooks you will learn how to make jam or jelly from your fruit and then have the fun of each creating your own flavouring for the finished product. Then it will be jarred, sealed and ready for you to take home. You will go home with jams, experience and knowledge that your experiences will facilitate the running of a class in the Cherry Stone Soup Project.
- You will need to provide your own transportation to our kitchen, the neighbourhood picking location and home again. We have not facility for transportation.
- If you are picking heavy fruits like apples, you will need enough cargo space to transport them from the neighbourhood to the kitchen. Again we do not have that ability.
- Bring water for drinking while picking, bug spray and a hat for sunny days.
- You will have to be covered by your employer for insurance, as we cannot cover volunteers nor can the homeowner where you will be picking.
- The cost per person is $225. That covers the day's activities with Fruits of Sherbrooke staff and equipment, as well as a contribution towards supporting our programs and a guarantee of a shadow class being given for free to a low income group of 6 - 10 participants. You could send one of your representatives to assist in that class if you are interested.
- Participants will come home with knowledge, a recipe for the jam they have made, a couple of jars of jam and a gift from Fruits of Sherbrooke.
- We can offer to provide "A Make-Your-Own-Sandwich" lunch with local artisan breads, dessert, beverages and Fruits of Sherbrooke condiments for $28 per person.
- You can plan to visit some of the wonderful restaurants along 124 Street.
- Bring your own and we will supply the table plus tea and coffee.