BLACK FOREST 'STEW'
Recipe created and shared by Chef Danielle Job, Prairie Catering
Vegetable oil 1/4 cup
Roast Beef 1.5 kg, cut into chunks
Sea salt 1 Tablespoon
Fresh black pepper 2 Tablespoons
Sweet onion 1 medium, finely diced
Celery 2 ribs, finely diced
Garlic 2 cloves, minced
Carrots 3 medium, cut into chunks (size of beef)
Tomato paste 1 Tablespoon
Beef stock 1 Litre
Fruits of Sherbrooke
Black Forest Sauce 1 - 250 ml bottle
Bay leaves 2
Cumin 1/4 teaspoon
Dried thyme 3 Tablespoons
Ground Ancho Chipotle 2 Tablespoons
Butter or margarine 1 Tablespoon
All purpose flour 1 Tablespoon
Serving suggestions: 4 baked potatoes or pasta of your choice.
This is a crock pot recipe.
1. In a large pot heat the vegetable oil on medium heat.
2. Combine the flour, salt and pepper then dredge the chunks of beef in the flour mixture and shake off excess. Add to hot oil and sear to lightly brown. Remove from cooking pot and put into the crockpot. Continue until beef is all browned.
3. To the same oil add onions and celery and cook 5 - 7 minutes until softened.
4. Add garlic and cook 1 minute. Add carrots and tomato paste and cook 2 minutes.
5. Add beef broth into cooking pot and scrape bits on the bottom, then add the Black Forest sauce, bay leaves, cumin, thyme and ancho powder. Combine and then pour into crockpot with the beef.
6. Cook on low in crockpot for 6 - 7 hours.
7. At the end of cooking mix the 1 Tablespoon butter and 1 Tablespoon flour and mix into the juices in the crockpot and let cook for 5 minutes.
Serve over top of baked potatoes that have been cut open. Or it would be also good served over pasta.