Location: Can mostly be done at home. As a board director you will also need to attend member and board meetings.
Authority and Accountability:
- The Secretary is a volunteer officer of the Fruits of Sherbrooke (FOS) board.
- Ensures that the records of the organization are maintained as required and made available when needed by authorized persons. These records may include founding documents, (e.g., articles of incorporation), lists of directors and members, board and committee meeting minutes, financial reports and other official records.
- Accountable to the FOS Board of Directors and Membership.
- The Secretary is a voting member of the board and has signing authority.
- Access to a computer and the internet
- Experience with Microsoft Excel and Word
- Comfortable with Google Gsuite and email or williness to learn
- Ability to fill in for Chairperson in his/her absence.
- Project management as well as Google Calendar/Docs experience would be an asset.
- Knowledge of the meeting procedures, decision-making rules, governance policies would be an asset.
- An adequate level of writing proficiency.
Role Specific Duties:
- Ensure the creation and timely distribution of agendas and supporting documents for board meetings and FOS membership meetings (e.g., annual general meetings).
- Accurate recording and distribution of the minutes of the board of directors meetings.
- Create and maintain an up-to-date board planning calendar outlining matters to be on the board's agenda over the course of a year.
- Maintain lists of officers, board members, committees and general membership.
- If the Secretary is unable to attend a meeting where minutes or notes are to be taken, it is the secretary's responsibility to finds an alternate.
- Keep copies of the FOS Bylaws and policies.
- In the absence of the Chairperson, chairs the Board meeting.
- Oversight of the FOS's incorporation and non-profit registration status and the facilitation of all annual filings of required reports and information to the corporate registry.
- Register memberships, collect fees, issues receipts and membership cards
- Bring the official minute book to meetings along with a copy of the by-laws
- Keep a record of Board attendance and assures there is a quorum.
- Check the FOS P.O. box regularly and distributes it to the appropriate Board member.
- Monitor the FOS general email account and redirects to the appropriate Board member.
Term: The commitment to the FOS board is a minimum of two years.
Time Commitment: Approx. 10 – 15 hours a month
Job Type: Volunteer board director